Do you want to keep your smile straight for life? Retainers help to maintain your straight smile after orthodontic treatment is completed…
What is a retainer?
A retainer is a removable device that is worn once orthodontic treatment is completed, to help keep the teeth in their new position and alignment. Retainers are very important in the orthodontic process, to ensure teeth don’t shift back to their original positions later on in life.
How do I clean my retainer?
- Clean your retainer by brushing it daily with toothpaste.
- Denture cleaner (e.g. Efferdent) can also be used for a more thorough cleaning.
- If you are wearing a bonded wire retainer behind your front teeth, be extra careful to clean the wire and the area around it.
- Flossing should be done daily.
How do I care for my retainer?
- Avoid flipping your retainer with your tongue as this can cause damage to your teeth or break the device.
- Never wrap your retainer in a paper napkin or tissue and set it down on the table. You or someone else may throw it away accidentally.
- Keep your retainer away from dogs or cats as they love to chew on them. Avoid storing them near any source of heat. Do not boil your retainer to sterilize it. If needed, bring it to the office and we will be happy to disinfect it for you.
To learn more about retainers, call us today at Martin Fine Orthodontics on 02 9369 3566!