Give your child the best chance of a beautiful smile.
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children first see an orthodontist at seven years of age. Whilst this is certainly too young to consider “Full Braces treatment”, certain key problems can be picked up at this age.
For children with crowding, finger or thumb habits, crossbites, protruding front teeth, “underbites,” “overbites” or other alignment problems early treatment can be very advantageous. The benefits of timely orthodontic treatment for your child may include:
- Reduce or eliminate the need to extract permanent teeth
- Reduce or eliminate the need for future jaw surgery
- Lower the risk of injury to protruded front teeth
- Correct harmful oral habits
- Improve the smile/self confidence
- Improve speech development
- Influence growth of the jaws in a positive manner
- Reduce self-consciousness during critical developmental years
- Improve the width of the dental arches
- Simplify and shorten treatment time for full braces
- Increase the stability of final treatment results
- Reduce the likelihood of impacted permanent teeth
- Guide permanent teeth into more favourable positions
- Improve lip closure
- Preserve or gain space for erupting permanent teeth
- Reduce potential for damage to jaw joints
Becoming accustomed to an orthodontist, the office and the staff can also alleviate anxiety when it comes time to start orthodontic treatment. The orthodontist and patient are also able to choose the most opportune time for corrective treatment to begin.
With these facts in mind, we hope you will have all your children examined by age 7 so that we can give your family the optimal dental care they deserve